To counter the Apple iStore and Barnes and Noble e-reader iPad app, Amazon is going beyond providing an app for all tablet computers, not just the iPad.
What does this mean to the average Kindle owner? You can buy the iPad and continue to read the ebooks you bought from Amazon. How cool is that!
The upcoming Kindle tablet program will be able to run on presumably any PC tablet and still sync to the other Kindle apps on Kindle-compatible devices PC, Mac, iPhone, and BlackBerry. Amazon’s Whispersync technology will automatically synchronizes your last page read, bookmarks, notes and highlights. If you are always on-the-go kind of person, then you read on one device and continue on another and easily pick up where you left off.
Additional features to enrich your reading experience (no Kindle required) include:
- Tailored to the size, look, and feel of your tablet computer
- Customize background color and font size to ease eye strain
- Adjust screen brightness from within the app to make reading easier
- Optimization for finger navigation as the page turn animation replicates the look of turning a page in a book. Or choose Basic Reading Mode for a simpler and unadorned reading experience
- Create bookmarks, notes (missing from the other Kindle Apps), and highlights, and view the annotations you created on your Kindle
You don’t need a Kindle ereader to read Kindle ebooks on another device.